According to Statista, the total revenue of the mobile app development market will reach US $641.10bn by 2027. Given an uptick in the number of businesses leveraging applications, creating a cross-platform mobile solution can be a beneficial decision for ensuring that you have a competitive edge along the way. Yet, it can be daunting due to the differences between various operating systems and devices. Java cross-platform mobile development is an answer to this challenge. With its flexibility and scalability, organizations can streamline their mobile app development process and deploy from the language's inherent capabilities to build efficient cross-platform compatible applications.
In this article, we will explore a step-by-step guide on how to create a relevant and productive cross-platform app in Java to strengthen your operational capacity and seamlessly reach out to new customer segments.
Why choose cross-platform app development in Java
Java is one of the most potent and widespread programming languages in the IT industry. In addition to its easy accessibility and popularity, this language provides a uniform codebase for cross-platform development, which empowers software developers to create applications compatible with multiple platforms and operating systems. As a result, there is no need to code each version separately if you use Java for cross-platform development. Let’s take a closer look at some additional advantages that Java brings to the table:
- Robust functionality. Java offers robust features and tools that allow developers to create applications with rich functionality, in this way, meeting and exceeding clients’ expectations. Additionally, this set of features is continuously growing, so Java is an appealing choice for cross-platform development.
- Seamless portability.Java applications are compiled to bytecode. They can run on any platform that supports a Java Virtual Machine (JVM). As a result, developers can easily port applications across platforms, which substantially reduces development time and cost. This characteristic also ensures that Java applications will maintain a consistent behavior across all platforms.
- Multiple Quality Assurance (QA) opportunities. Java has powerful debugging and error-handling capabilities that assist tech specialists in identifying and fixing problems regardless of the specific platform, either iOS, Windows, or Android.
- Extensive community support. Java has a large support community that enables developers to swiftly tackle complex challenges and access information about best practices for cross-platform development. Besides, the rich set of Java libraries allows for the seamless integration of existing components into new projects.
Java transfuses app development with scalability, robustness, and security. It is suitable for enterprise applications that are bound to run consistently across different systems and environments. Java developers can also benefit from its vast array of libraries, frameworks, and APIs, building extensible applications that are expandable and can be easily maintained over long periods of time. These features make cross-platform mobile app development in Java appealing to many companies.
Building a cross-platform mobile app in Java: Key Steps
Leveraging cross-platform mobile development in Java can help your company reach out to new customer segments and amplify your operational capacity. With the right tools and knowledge, your company can meld together top-notch user experience and advanced functionality. Here are essential steps for Java cross-platform mobile development:
- Deploy necessary software, tools, and frameworks. This number encompasses an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) to write, test, and debug Java code, an application generator to create a graphical user interface (GUI), a compiler to translate source code into machine code that can run on various platforms, and an emulator for testing the app's performance. Popular IDEs are Eclipse and NetBeans.
- Develop the User Interface (UI) of the app. This step implies the layout of all screens, the design elements, and the navigational elements required to move within the app. There are various Java frameworks available that make building UIs for multiple platforms a breeze. JavaFX is an open-source framework that can create a UI for all platforms simultaneously using its Scene Builder feature. Additionally, developers can search for alternatives, such as Vaadin and GWT. After the UI is built, it can be integrated into the mobile app using appropriate APIs.
- Create the backend of the app in Java. Write the necessary code to implement the functionality of the app. This includes coding the logic behind the interaction between the user and the app, database operations, communication protocols, and other processes.
- Test and debug the app on different platforms. Before deploying the app, developers need to make sure that the app works properly on different platforms, such as Android or iOS, and more. It is essential to test the app extensively to make sure that all of the features work as expected. Testing should include ensuring that the UI and UX elements look good across all platforms, that navigation and navigation transitions are smooth, and that there are no stability issues.
- Package and deploy the app. When the app is ready to go, it is time to package and deploy the application. The exact steps will depend on the platform that the app is being deployed on. For example, an Android app would need to be signed using the Android Keystore before being uploaded to the Google Play store. Once the deployment is complete, users should be able to download and use the app.
As a versatile language for cross-platform app development, Java offers limitless opportunities if your company strives to engage with clients more efficiently. With relevant approaches and top-notch expertise, you can craft a mobile app that is compatible with multiple devices and easy to maintain and scale up or down according to your needs. Besides, cross-platform mobile app development in Java is cost-effective and time-saving. It can help you speed up the development process and fine-tune your application in response to constantly changing customer needs. Following the right strategy, you can greatly benefit from the velocity and flexibility Java offers to cross-platform development initiatives.
Cooperation with a seasoned Java mobile development team can be a winning strategy, as it can greatly contribute to the successful, timely delivery of the product. A qualified and experienced tech partner like nCube can provide you with access to the right resources and expertise needed to ensure a high-quality, robust result. What’s more, a tech partner like us alleviates any need for costly overhead expenses, such as training and onboarding new resources or overhead costs. Contact us and we will build your dedicated team for Java cross-platform mobile development.