In 2022, Kotlin solidified its position on the list of top 20 programming languages. According to Stack Overflow, it is currently the sixth most wanted technology among developers. Kotlin mobile app development is also in high demand among businesses. So, let’s find out more about Kotlin app development, explore its use cases, and discover the ins and outs of hiring Kotlin developers. All these insights will help us tap into what Kotlin offers.
What is Kotlin mobile app development?
In a nutshell, Kotlin is a programming language coupling features of object-oriented programming with functional programming capabilities further aligned with the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). In other words, Kotlin mobile development focuses on aspects like transparency, security, and interoperability. From a developer’s perspective, Kotlin is a great way to tackle challenging projects quickly.
Moreover, Kotlin mobile app development brings forward these key aspects:
- Code-related effort minimization. Kotlin is known for its conciseness. It means it comes with easier and more compact coding allowing you to get the new product to the market as soon as possible.
- Top-grade security. Kotlin entails a framework that protects the system from crashes and misconfigurations. As a result, it means more excellent stability and better security.
- Open-source nature. Since 2012 Kotlin has been an open-source language with regular updates coming. Besides, there is a strong community behind Kotlin mobile development, which means developers can find answers to almost any question you have.
In such a case, Kotlin is a language you can rely on and a secure tool for bringing forward new products. When it comes to the types of products, let’s see what the language can handle.
Kotlin development services: Use cases
When it comes to distinct use cases with Kotlin development services, there are several key areas to mention:
- Android mobile development. Kotlin mobile app development is the prerogative of this language. In such a case, with Google supporting the language since 2019, it has been a preferred tool for Android app developers.
- Server-side apps. As one of the relatively new languages, Kotlin is used to create server-side apps.
These are some major use cases for Kotlin development services. As one can see, the language’s simplicity, compactness, and security can help developers go a long way toward delivering high-quality products. It can fit simple projects and full-stack development products alike. Now that we know what Kotlin mobile app development is and where to use it, let’s look at key aspects of hiring Kotlin developers.
What to look for when hiring Kotling developers?
When looking for a Kotlin developer, you need to know what qualities your ideal candidate should have. In such a case, four factors are involved:
- Experience. It goes without saying that a strong Kotlin developer should have a robust foundation in the Kotlin programming language. What is more, they need to have an understanding of both object-oriented and functional programming. Finally, they should have experience working with mobile app ecosystems. As a result, this experience should not only be more than just theoretical. A Kotlin developer must have actual practice in real projects.
- Hard skills. On a technical side, when you hire Kotlin developers, look for Kotlin, Java, and XML knowledge. Besides, the developer should have experience with SQL and Linux. Furthermore, Kotlin mobile app development is only possible with skills in Android Studio. Finally, ensure a Kotlin developer knows JVM and is proficient in website back-end scripting.
- Soft skills. Regarding soft skills needed for a Kotlin developer, there is discipline, communication, and striving to improve on the list.
- Additional competencies. Finally, when hiring a Kotlin developer, see if they have a research attitude, understand what users want, can manage time effectively, and are both an industry and company fit.
These are the foundational factors to look for in Kotlin mobile app development. It’s best to ensure the Kotlin developer you are hiring has required hard and soft skills and presents correct competencies. Now, let’s take a look at places to hire Kotlin developers.
Where to find a Kotlin development company?
In a nutshell, you have several options for hiring Kotlin developers. These are the options to consider:
- Freelancers. You can go to the world’s most popular freelancer stocks, like Upwork or Toptal, when looking for Kotlin developers. Nonetheless, keep in mind that working with freelancers can entail a solid bunch of disadvantages, including low performance due to a lack of self-discipline, no project management skills, etc.
- In-house hiring. You can go through local markets to add in-house staff. Utilize the power of HR to find candidates meeting the prerequisites of your company’s culture.
- Kotlin communities. You can tap into the Kotlin talent pool via GitHub, Official Kotlin Community, and Kotlin Meetup groups. However, keep in mind that developers’ communities are rather knowledge-sharing than job-seeking online organizations.
- Remote team providers. If the options above don’t meet your needs, consider delegating your Kotlin mobile app development. For this purpose, you can build a team with nCube as a reliable provider of Kotlin developers based in Eastern Europe and Latin America.
These are the main sources for hiring Kotlin developers. You can shuffle between them based on your needs, budget, and timeline.
Hiring a Kotling app developer is a challenging task. However, if you know what to look for in a Kotlin developer. In that case, you can find a Kotlin development company that can provide the right kind of talent. In short, look at different sources to hire developers, choose a particular method for hiring, consider the cost of the project, and build a team with the right skills, knowledge, and expertise. We can help you with that. Contact us.